When it comes to a woman’s fitness and well-being, nutrition is indeed the most crucial part, however the question that often comes up is – “Can one be on a structured diet during periods? If yes, then how should one sync the diet?”
The cravings that keep arising during periods often lead women to a point where they end up giving into them, resulting in a state of slump induced by guilt.
So what needs to be done here? Well, it’s very important that women should inculcate healthy habits of eating, so that the right kind of nutrients are provided to the body consistently and hence maintain an optimum balance between hormones.
- The most crucial dietary change that can be made is attempting to keep the blood sugar levels steady, the higher the sugar intake, the more likely are the symptoms of PMS.
- Intake of more filling and wholesome carbs sources in the diet – unrefined starchy carbs, whole grains, brown rice, oats, white rice etc.
- Eat a small healthy meal or snack at regular intervals to balance out blood sugar levels. Count the calories and adjust the items according to your diet plan. This not only helps ensure getting the feeling of fullness, but also in avoiding those unnecessary cravings and hunger pangs.
- Many women have a tendency to opt for painkillers. Instead, one can look for herbs like Agnus Castus which help in balancing out the haywire hormones.
- Staying well hydrated helps in combating menstrual cramps, bloating and headaches too.
- Supplementing with essential nutrients – Omega-3 fatty acids can be used for period pains, providing the body with raw materials required for the production of good prostaglandins. Ensure your fish oil capsule has a good ratio of EPA and DHA) and do make sure your micronutrient needs are met throughout the month.
A mindful approach towards your diet, hormonal health, and menstruation cycle can do wonders to keep your mind, body and soul in sync during your periods.
Author Credits – Shanu Shashank