Momo, or the steamed dumpling, is a dish that is perhaps of Tibetan origin, but has become the dish of choice all over the country, when it comes to food that packs health and deliciousness into one amazing combination! You can experiment endlessly when it comes to momos – whether it be your choice of fillings, or the dough for the outer cover, whether you make parcels or moon-shaped bags, or whether you choose to fry them, steam them, or dunk them into a soup.
Today, we present a recipe of a momo variation that uses cabbage leaves instead of the traditional rice-dough to make the outer cover. That makes even more dieter-friendly, while retaining the simplicity of this dish. Presenting the Dieter Special Cabbage Momos! Here is the recipe for you:
Ingredients for the outer covering:
- Tender cabbage leaves – 5 nos.
Ingredients for the filling:
- Paneer – 50 gms, grated
- Bell pepper – chopped fine
- Mushrooms – chopped fine
- Beans – chopped fine
- Carrot – chopped fine
- Onion – chopped fine
- For the covering, boil the cabbage leaves in mildly salted boiling water, until tender. Once soft, remove immediately and cool.Take a little oil in a non-stick pan and saute all the chopped vegetables. Season with salt n pepper.
- Now add grated paneer to it and mix well on a medium-high flame.
- For a flavour kick, you can add any other seasoning like Maggi masala or Top Ramen masala. Alternatively, just add dried herbs like oregano and basil, chilli flakes, and/or freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- In the prepared cabbage leaves, add a spoon of the stuffing mix and fold it by bringing all the edges together and securing with a toothpick.
- Finally, use a steamer to steam the cabbage momos for 5 min.
Enjoy them hot with ketchup, or hot sauce, or simply chilli vinegar!
Recipe Courtesy : Sonal Jain