Many people just work out alone and sometimes it makes sense to exercise without a partner. However, if you have a partner with similar goals, fitness levels, and similar passion, then it is a perfect match! In this way, you do not miss out on all the benefits of having a workout buddy!
What are the benefits of having a workout buddy?
There are number of ways, working out with a buddy can help you. Your buddy can be the best spotter for you and make your workout safer. He could check your workout form and make sure you are not letting it slip as you fatigue. Even if you think you can work better on your own, a good workout buddy can force you to get into extra reserves of strength and energy so that you push yourself to few extra reps.
What you should look in a workout buddy?
- Fitness role model
Ideally, you want your workout buddy to be fitter than you or similar to idea of a fitness role model. At the same time, their fitness level should seem achievable to you if you really worked for it. In addition, it is better that they are a bit more knowledgeable and technically better than you are in the workout.
- Good attitude
Positive, friendly, and focused – these are the qualities you should look for before choosing your workout buddy. They also respect your time if they are spotting you.
- Similarity in goals
If you want to get to 12% body fat and they want to become a yoga expert, then there is no similarity in goals. You need to share similar goals.
- Compatible schedules
This one is a no-brainer. If your schedules will not coincide, then it is not going to work.
- Avoid pitfalls
You have to make sure that they should not have any of these characteristics – making excuses, using unhealthy shortcuts, over confidence, overly competitive, always late, attitude problems, and tending to talk more than working out. Always remember that they are also checking for the same (or similar) criteria in you, so you also need to rise to the occasion – it takes two to tango.
Workouts that you can do with your workout buddy:
- Double tree pose: With your hips touching at the sides, get into tree pose to stretch your hips and improve your posture. Hold for a few breaths and then switch sides.
- Stretches: Stretching can be boring but doing with a partner who can talk to you and assist you, will make the time fly while making stretching effective and enjoyable.
- Elevated push-ups: It’s an extra challenge to standard push-ups that are usually done.
- Front bird pose: The front bird move can develop core strength.
- Curved handstand: This handstand shape exercise will make your shoulders and core strong.
- Palm pat start in side push-up position: Lower chest should be towards ground. Push back to start. Then shift your weight to outside arm and keeping it straight. Give your partner a high five. Return to first position and repeat again for a set. After one set switch places.
Benefits of having a good workout buddy
A workout partner can do more for you than just make you show up at the gym. Adding a workout partner to your fitness routine can:
- Make it hard to skip your workout because you always know that someone is waiting for you
- Clarify your doubts
- Push you to a level above the current one
- Reduces your stress of starting on a new challenge
- Build friendships which help you feel like home even at the gym
- Working out becomes fun
- Helps keep your form correct
- Motivates and supports you
- Makes your workout safer
- Brings variety to your workout
- You will always have a spotter
- Celebrate success together.
A workout buddy provides you a powerful combination of support, motivation, focus, accountability, and healthy competition. They can play the role of teammate, co-coach and cheerleader-all while working out.
Article Credits – Monika Sharma